March 3, 2010

Our Own Children

A friend recently asked me if we had talked about how we would approach a conversation with our children years from now to let them know that they "aren't our real children." It was an eye opening question! Because the truth of it is, they are our real children. I know she meant to ask me about talking with the kids about adoption. And I guess it's just not all that dramatic to us. We're not planning to sit them down at some point for a somber conversation about it. We couldn't be more thrilled and excited about all that God has done, and we expect that regular conversations with our children about how God brought them into our family will be full of joy and praise to Him.

My friend also asked me if we plan to try to have children "of our own." This was another surprising question. We have two children of our own! God has given them to us and we love them already, before we've even seen them face to face. I understand that she meant biological children. But I really want to be careful about the way we phrase things. Our children don't have to question whether they're our real, our own son and daughter. They are.

All of this has such spiritual parallels. You see, I'm an adopted daughter of God. I was a rebel against Him. The Bible tells us that all of us are born that way. Ephesians 2:3 says "we once lived in the passions of our flesh, carrying out the desires of the body and the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, like the rest of mankind." But God sent His Son Jesus Christ to pay the penalty for my sin and purchase me as His own. His daughter. Adopted daughter. And true daughter. Romans 8:14 says "For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, "Abba! Father!" The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with Him in order that we may also be glorified with Him."

Dr. Moore asks a telling question in his book Adopted for Life.  Do we want most of all to be parents, or do we want most of all to be conservators of our genetic material? I highly recommend the chapter in his book called Don't You Want Your Own Kids?

Thank the Lord for His goodness to our family!!  Psalm 113:9  He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children.  Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I Have been asked these questions too recently. This is so encouraging, would you mind if I shared this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, of course, please feel free! I'm so glad it was encouraging.

      Delete