April 5, 2013

Waiting Again

The waiting stage of adoption is not new to us.  In fact, I was talking with a friend last night about how often all of us have to wait for various things in life.  It's interesting for me to consider God's purpose in creating a world where so much waiting exists.  He could have designed it another way, but He didn't.  We wait nine months before a baby is born, we wait for exciting holidays or occasions to come around, we wait for the results of an exam or application, we wait while someone is in surgery, we wait for a spouse's military deployment to conclude, we wait for a change in our circumstances, we wait for a loved one in hospice to pass away, and most significantly, we wait for the return of our Savior, Jesus.

Not only is waiting such a common occurrence, it's also a frequently mentioned topic in the Bible. I did a search at esvbible.org for the word "wait," and there were 87 results.  So as I think about how to wait well, I've been praying and looking to God's Word, which is "breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work." (2 Timothy 3:16-17)

Here is one of my initial thoughts: waiting has a lot to do with contentment.  If God has designed a world in which we experience times of waiting, and He has orchestrated our specific circumstances so that the thing we desire is not yet ours, we have two options.  We can wait patiently, trusting that God will do what is right, or we can be anxious and discontent.

I was talking with my son this morning about contentment.  I reminded him about all the marvels God has done in his life, and that he has so much to be grateful for!  I encouraged him that he can be content even when he has to wait to play with his trucks until his sister is done playing with them.  In fact, he should be more than content, he has reason to rejoice greatly!  I'm convicted that I should know better than my three year old.

I know that I am a dreadful sinner and deserve God's punishment eternally.  I know that He sent His own Son, Jesus, to pay the penalty for my sins so that I could be forgiven and spend eternity worshipping God.  I know that my life is full to overflowing with good gifts from my heavenly Father.

So I am resolved to wait more patiently, and to be content and joyful with exactly where God has me.  My hope should not be set on finally receiving the thing I've been waiting for.  The reality is that even if God does not add a single other child to our family, we have much to rejoice in and be grateful for.  My hope should be set on Jesus.  He is where my joy and peace are found.

Psalm 39:7  And now, O Lord, for what do I wait?  My hope is in You.

4 comments:

  1. Couldn't have said it better! Thankful for wisdom & understanding from the Lord. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful truths! So thankful that the Lord is showing you how to "wait well," because that's a lesson you can share with so many others to God's glory. Praying for continued grace in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such wonderful truths! I am so thankful that the Lord is taking you through this path of learning to "wait well," because those around you will benefit, to the glory of God. Praying for continued grace in this area!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post! Thanks for sharing... miss you dearly!

    ReplyDelete